With the right guidance and assistance from you, your puppy is capable of some really amazing things. Here are some key principles to remember when embarking on any obedience journey:
- Be clear on where you stand and where you want to be
- Create a picture in your mind of what you want to accomplish and then stick to your process until you get there.
- Match your goals to your level of involvement
- You’ll get what you work for. Anything is possible with the right amount of commitment to the training. If you don’t want to work that hard, don’t expect the dog to get there.
- Focus on progressive improvement and celebrate small (ALL) wins
- Don’t take short cuts to long terms fixes
- Cultivate an air of quiet confidence and poise
- Don’t move until everyone is ready
- Someone has to be in charge; you or them
- You provide all food, shelter, warmth, protection, toys, etc.; until they start providing all of that, they don’t get to be in charge
- Suggestions can be ignored, commands shouldn’t be repeated
For some fun and inspiration, check out: